Birthday time for me is a time of reflection (well, and a little celebration) :). It’s perfect that my birthday falls half-way through the year. I like to take a few moments to see how my beginning of the year goals are going. While visiting the Church Art Museum last year this quilt spoke to my heart:
My current scripture study is about treasure. I decided this quilt is the perfect treasure map for me here and now.
The title is “Angel’s Portion: Seeking Virtue”. Angel’s Portion meaning big – this quilt is beautiful and pulls me right in. The story quilt shows seven ladies – “each shown in an active pursuit of virtue”. I love the “active pursuit” part. It takes effort to become more virtuous and to seek after virtuous things – ideas, talents, and gifts. True treasures.
In the article it says “Each of these women possesses a trait that can be shared with others to bless humanity: sentinel, scholar, gardener, nurturer, caregiver, musician, and home builder. The artist explains that these women “honor those who pursue and use talents to bless humanity.'” Is there any better way to live?
Here is a list of the goals I’m working on in these areas:
- Sentinel – Work on leadership qualities: magnify calling, love those I serve, pray for those I teach and visit.
- Scholar – Learn more about Teaching Self Government – and apply in my home. Study photography.
- Gardener – Help with the Heritage Gardens. Grow a garden – especially herbs.
- Nurturer – Tell stories! Especially family history ones and stories from my childhood. Consistant interviews with my children. Pizza dough tossing and doodling/sketching skills.
- Caregiver – Monthly FHE service. Look for opportunities.
- Musician – Teach children piano, guitar, drums – what each is interested in and keep up and learn musical talents in those areas. Also accept opportunities as presented to play flute and sing.
- Home Builder – Hang family photos and temple pictures throughout our home. Paint living room and dining room. Proverbs 14:1 ” Every wise woman buildeth her house.” (A lot of the previous goals fit into building our home.)
Some are coming together better than others – all with room to improve.
I want my goals to focus on seeking virtue and using skills to love and bless my family. I’m thankful for a quote that jumped out to me while reading President Monson’s talk from General Conference. It wraps my thoughts into a nice package. A birthday package even. “There are feet to steady, hands to grasp, minds to encourage, hearts to inspire, and souls to save.”